There were times when I would shudder at the sound of my son’s cry while taking a customer’s call. Luckily for me, customers were very patient when I had to run off to find a wandering toddler.
Starting out primarily as a medical courier service, Runners, Inc. gradually added many new services along the way that continue to evolve to this day. Medical couriers are still our expertise, but we are so much more than that now!
Much credit is given to Thor, who will listen to anyone with a unique service requirement. He tries to figure out a way to help even if it’s something we have never done before! As a result, new services have been added this way many times.
Adding trucks was a logical move after brokering too many calls to others just so we could help our clients (even if we couldn’t do it then) we certainly can now! After a few calls for moving safes and copiers, we purchased electric stair climbers that allow us to easily move even the heaviest items (up to 1,200 lbs.) on stairs.
Specialized moving has become another one of our many services that includes residential moves, office moves, and commercial product deliveries. Several years after we added trucks (one at a time), it made perfect sense to expand our services to include warehouse storage and logistics, which became our biggest financial step so far! A 65,000 square foot building in Baltimore bringing our total space to 150,000 square is now the home for many of our client’s files and products.
Our couriers can transport anything at anytime and anywhere; from wedding cakes, your lunch and dry-cleaning, to documents, standing in line for your important events, packages and boxes.
We once made grocery runs for a gentleman while he cared for his ill wife, and another time we delivered a special love letter for a lady in Germany to her long lost boyfriend of many years, who lived in Southern Maryland. These are just a few of the unique ways we have helped people.
When I reflect on how it all started with an idea, hard work, and waiting seven long years before taking our first vacation, it gives me such a great sense of pride and fulfillment.
That old song, “Because I’m a Woman” implies she did it all which is true here, but certainly not alone! I couldn’t be where we are today without our great team of dedicated people. We are still going strong and ready to help you in any way we can.
— Diane Smith.
We are proud to have a team of highly trained and certified professionals who are dedicated to delivering the best service possible to our clients.
Coverage is obtained from insurance professionals dedicated to developing solutions for couriers, trucking, warehousing, and document storage companies. Insurance coverage limits are:
- General Liability – $2,000,000
- Employee Dishonesty – $50,000
- Cargo – $100,000
- Automobile Liability – $1,000,000
Small Business Certifications:
- Commonwealth of Virginia DBE #689135
- Maryland Department of Transportation MBE/DBE #10-148
- Prince George’s County MBE #10-6397
Federal / State / Certificates / Licenses:
- CAGE 1RQN1
- US DOT #0745120
- CCR / DUNS #795985175
- Standard Carrier Alpha Code (SCAC) #RING
- State of Maryland Business Certificate #R3969517
- State of Maryland Local Small Business Reserve Program SB10-2191
Medical Transport Qualifications:
Drivers assigned to transport medical specimens receive safety training: Bloodborne Pathogens: Exposure In The Workplace Guide, provided by J.J. Keller & Associates,, have medical transport coolers (we keep dry ice on our premises), and sign a HIPPA Privacy Agreement.
Federal registration in the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) includes:
Sector 48 & 49 Transportation & Warehousing
- Subsector 484 Truck Transportation:
- 484110 General Freight Trucking, Local;
- 484121 General Freight Trucking, Long Distance Truckload;
- 484210 Used Household and Office Goods, Moving;
- 484230 Specialized Freight (except Used Goods) Trucking long Distance
- Subsector 492 Couriers and Messengers:
- 492110 Couriers;
- 492210 Local Messengers and Local Delivery (including Bicycle Couriers)
- Subsector 493 Warehousing/Storage:
- 493110 General Warehousing/Storage;
- 493190 Document Storage and Other Warehousing